Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tips & Tricks Tuesdays | Networking

To talk about networking I decided to enlist the help of the most effective networker I know, my boyfriend Daryl. So if you're struggling to put yourself out there, just keep a few things in mind.

  • Introduce yourself! Everyone has the possibility to be a friend, but you have to allow them to have that chance. In the classroom, at the gym, and even at work you have the chance to start a new relationship. 
  • Learn to be friendly and manipulative at the same time. The word manipulate has gained a negative connotation, but all it means is to handle in a skillful manner. Being manipulative doesn't mean being hurtful, it means being strategic. If you recognize an opportunity that your friend can afford you, go for it! Just make sure you have something great to offer in return. They'll be appreciate and more receptive. 
  • Maintain your friendships. Remember, we're building relationships, not using people. 
  • Have a clear distinction between your friends and your networks. Only 5 percent of the people you know are actually friends. The other 95 percent? Well those are acquaintances, classmates, coworkers, and, of course, networks. It's important to know the difference between the two because they will, in turn, treat you the way they see you as well. 
Networks can be made absolutely anywhere, it's all about how you use them.

Like Daryl's thoughts on networking? Then network with him!


  1. Found your blog through the amberburns.com. Cayutee. Great networking tips. Definitely will be subscribing!

    TheNativeNewYawker.com / PartyOverHair.com

    1. Aww thanks so much Elle I really appreciate it! I'll definitely have to thank Amber for sending us to each other :)


Dear Jordan,